Two legal publishers, LexisNexis and Wolters Kluwer, are making electronic versions of law school casebooks and study aids available for free to law students through late May. Check the two lists below to see if any of your books are included.
LexisNexis Digital Library
All casebooks published by LexisNexis and Carolina Academic Press are available in the LexisNexis Digital Library. These are the available casebooks in use this semester, listed by course:
- Advanced Topics in Torts (Profs. Hurt & Nuñez). Scholarly Writing: Ideas, Examples, and Execution, 3rd ed.
- Civil Rights (Prof. Steele). Law of Discrimination: Cases and Perspectives.
- Election Law (Prof. Perry). Voting Rights and Election Law, 2nd ed.
- Federal Taxation 1 (Prof. Fleming). Federal Income Tax: Doctrine, Structure, and Policy (Text, Cases, Problems), 5th ed.
- Interviewing & Counseling (Prof. M. Welch). A Practical Approach to Client Interviewing, Counseling, and Decision-Making: For Clinical Programs and Practical Skills Courses.
- Patent Law (Prof. Bair). Patent Law and Policy: Cases & Materials, 7th ed.
- State & Local Government 1 (Prof. Fee). State and Local Government in a Federal System, 8th ed.
LexisNexis study aids are also available in the Digital Library, for this semester only:
For convenient offline access, download the free LexisNexis Digital Library app from Google Play or the Apple Store. Use library code BYULAW upon setup.
Casebooks published by Wolters Kluwer and Aspen are available on the etextbook platform VitalSource. To access, you first must create a Vital Source account:
- Go to bookshelf.vitalsource.com.
- Click “Create a VitalSource Account.”
- Create an account using your BYU Law email address.
- Verify the account using your email address and login.
- Click on “My Bookshelf” on the top right.
- Click on “Explore” on the top left.
- Search for your book by title.
- Borrow up to 7 books.
Here are this semester’s available books, listed by course:
- Business Organizations (Prof. Clayton). Commentaries and Cases on the Law of Business Organizations, 5th ed.
- Business Organizations (Prof. Clayton). Commentaries and Cases on the Law of Business Organizations, Supplement.
- Civil Procedure (Prof. Stancil). Civil Procedure, 10th ed.
- Civil Procedure (Prof. Thorley). Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: With Selected Statutes and Other Materials, 2019.
- Criminal Law (Prof. E. Jensen). Criminal Law: Doctrine, Application, and Practice, 2nd ed.
- Criminal Procedure: Adjudication (Prof. Bowen). Criminal Procedure: Adjudication, 3rd ed.
- Disaster Law (Prof. Sun). Disaster Law and Policy, 3rd ed.
- Introduction to Advocacy (Profs. Bramble & Nevers; M. Jensen & Hickman; Baughman & Sears ). Legal Writing for Legal Readers.
- Introduction to Advocacy (Profs. Baughman & Sears). Just Writing: Grammar, Punctuation, and Style for the Legal Writer, 4th ed.
- Introduction to Advocacy (Profs. M. Jensen & Staheli). Researching the Law: Finding What You Need When You Need It, 2nd ed.
- Law of Armed Conflict (Prof. E. Jensen). Law of Armed Conflict: An Operational Approach, 2nd ed.
- Supreme Court Advocacy Clinic 2 (Prof. Schaerr). Constitutional Law, 5th ed.
- Trial Advocacy (Prof. L. Dishman). Trial Techniques and Trials, 10th ed.
- Trial Advocacy (Prof. L. Dishman). Materials in Trial Advocacy: Problems and Cases, 8th ed.
- Trial Advocacy (Prof. L. Dishman). Pretrial, 9th ed.
Wolters Kluwer Study Aids (Examples and Explanations, Glannon Guides, etc.) are available as usual through the Wolters Kluwer Online Study Aid Library. Wolters Kluwer is also providing access to a couple of other study aids useful for 1Ls:
- PracticePerfect for Civil Procedure, which features videos interspersed with hypotheticals and quizzes
- An Introduction to Constitutional Law: 100 Supreme Court Cases Everyone Should Know, videos that discuss pivotal cases and illustrated with maps, photographs, and audio from the Supreme Court
Both of these study tools (as well as some casebooks) can be accessed by creating an account on CasebookConnect.com/Free, with a maximum limit of five titles.
Questions? Contact librarian Iantha Haight.